Monday, March 17, 2008

One the Benefits of Health, Marriage and Family etc

In an interview with Channel 4 News's John Snow, an Islamic Cleric, since deported although his large family remain here, had the candour to say that he had enjoyed the benefits of living in Britain, including state benefits. Let's face it, at least he was being honest !

Now the Conservative Party have become very vociferous on the benefits of marriage and the family recently. I seem to remember that Ian Duncan Smith had to resign, in part, for employing his wife's administrative services, and, more recently, Derek Conway MP for paying his two sons (handsomely) as research assistants, although it wasn't clear that they had done any work.

Let's face it, Britain is a nation on the make where "state benefits" are concerned, whatever form these may take. Those in high office are just as culpable as those they regard as "the underclass", and so is just about every class in between.

I, for one, have become increasingly sympathetic to those claiming incapacity benefit, although I've never been a claimant myself, not yet anyway. However, I've found it so difficult to see an NHS doctor in recent years, that I'm seriously considering asking for a state medical, if such things exist these days. There might be some benefit in it for me after all !

No comments: