Thursday, August 14, 2008

Trying Times for Security and Defence Services

Mr "Trying Times", who describes his profession as "Accountancy", has posted this comment on my earlier Blog regarding "Professions Better Suited to Single People". This refers to the case of Max Mosley, who was "outed" by the wife of an ex-employee of MI5 :

"Who said her husband was a former Director of MI5. What's the source of that information? The best I can place him at is earning £23,500/year as a staffer on the middle-east desk working in Circulations. I'm pretty sure that a (former) Director of MI5 wouldn't be living in a two-bed Semi in Chavsville, so what is your source please?"

My source, or so I thought, was BBC Radio when the story first broke in ? March/April this year, but I may be mistaken. Perhaps the Director was sacked for failing to "vet" his staff sufficiently.
However, like Mr "Trying Times", I also interested in remuneration.

Surely the key issue here is money, which I take up in my earlier Blog :"Spooks and the Real Power Inquiry". My guess is that many MI5 staff, like their counterparts in the Armed Services aren't earning enough, and they and their families are easy prey for press payouts. Remember the case of the British marines captured by the Iranians who were then paid for their stories !

No comments: