Wednesday, September 17, 2008

My Lessons from the Last Recession

I genuinely "feel" for those people who have lost their jobs recently or suspect they are in danger of doing so. Yes, this even applies to some of those in government.

As someone who was made redundant in early 1990 by the property development and investment company for whom I worked, I know how it feels to suddenly lose a well-paid job when you have a large mortgage to pay. Fortunately, the terms of redundancy were better for most people in those days, and I had little or no credit card debt at that time. However, the situation was no less scary : interest rates were escalating and other companies to whom I might have looked for work - like the then owners of Canary Wharf, Olympia and York - were also going under.

Again fortunately, I found new employment within a few months in the Construction and Property Group of accountants and management consultants Coopers & Lybrand Deloitte (now PriceWaterhouse Coopers) where I remained until 1992. Frankly, I was surprised to have "stuck in" here for so long, as new waves of redundancy continued around me.

All this uncertainty fundamentally changed my attitude to life and, most of all, to work. No matter how how hard you have worked and how successful you may feel you are, remember that in the worlds of business - as in other areas of life - things can change suddenly for the worse, and, also, for the better. Although, the "better" may be something very different from what you are doing now, requiring nothing short of a shift in consciouness or mind-set. The last recession was for me a catalyst for what was ultimately a considerable improvement in my life, although not so much for my material success. In short, it fundamentally changed my values.

However, if all this sounds a bit airy-fairy, then you might consider procuring a "power object" or "fetish" to help you on your way. See my blog @ http://janetstone.wordpress.com/

No comments: