Saturday, January 27, 2007

On Serious Matters and Lite Entertainment

My last blog concluded on the subject of S&M, and more particularly, "Domination Services", and, whilst I could probably put together a good business plan for a commercial/social enterprise in this sector - and may yet do so - I actually want to look at dominant power structures and ideologies in our society first. So, next week my "Real Power Inquiry" starts.
This will be structured as follows :

Janet Mackinnon Blog

Introduction to The Real Power Inquiry on the true meaning of "power politics etc".

The Market for Domination Services will cover things like : "The Tyranny of Fashion", including spurious lingerie marketing; and the domination of health services by the drugs industry ie licenced pharmaceutical companies, rather than illegal drugs dealers (although I might tackle them as well)

The Edge of Town Blog

What Future for Feminism ? will deal with the domination of feminist politics in this country by New Labour Neo-Conservative "feminists" like Ruth Kelly (Minister for Women), Harriet Harman, and, yes, Cherie Booth-Blair QC. The exclusion of other feminist agendas from mainstream politics and policies will also be considered.

Janet Stone Blog

Troubles with Trolls will look at the negative and positive aspects of what might be construed (especially by men) as "the dark feminine".

The Green Man Project Blog

(Over) Population and Sustainability will be the focus here.

If the above sounds somewhat "heavy", it may be, but might just make interesting reading.


However, in the meantime - and it being a Saturday - I want to strike a "liter" note, and say something about Simon Cowell, "The King of Light Entertainment" whom my previous blog also touched upon. Now some people may feel that my blogs have been rather hard on New Labour (something for which I make absolutely no apology !), and it may now come as a surprise that I'm now going to say something positive about the "Tony Blair Years". Simon Cowell, although I have no idea what his politics are, is in my view one positive manifestation of New Labour. Why ? Let me list the reasons. Mr Cowell :

1. Beat Gordon Brown to 97th place in the "Worlds Sexiest Men" Poll. Mr Cowell came in at 96th.

2. Has made alot of money (Very important in New Labour circles, as Peter Mandelson would no doubt assure us)

3. Has a positive view of equality/diversity issues (I'm being genuine here !)

Shame that Tony Blair didn't pursue the same course in life as Mr Cowell, but maybe there's still time. ("Cherie, we're joining the other LaLas later this year !").

All this said, I actually like Mr Cowell (although I suspect that he's not at all green...but I'm no puritan either), but its the "dark side" of New Labour that really gets me going.

No comments: