Wednesday, January 17, 2007

REGENERATION MANIFESTO(S)

Now it is mid-January and with the prospect of more seasonal temperatures, not to say stormy weather, in the next few days, I feel 2007 has really begun. I've decided that the focus of my blog during this Winter/Spring season, as Nature once again regenerates herself, will be "Regeneration", and, in particular, "Regeneration Manifestos". Indeed, I intend to publish my own "Manifesto for Regeneration", which will deal not only with earthly and material considerations, but intellectual, cultural and spiritual matters as well : these, in my view, being equally important at the present time. Moreover, although my "Regeneration Manifesto" will focus on Britain, and in particular, Middle England, I will draw upon the experience of other nations, both in the over/developed and less-developed world. Whilst this inquiry will be of a serious nature, I hope that it will also be humorous and entertaining, and widen understanding of what is meant by "regeneration" in both its practical and more philosophical manifestations.

A quick Internet word-search of "Regeneration Manifesto" offers a useful starting point for exploring the theme of regeneration. The first entry to come up is the 2005 British Property Federation (BPF) Regeneration Manifesto. This is actually rather a useful document because BPF have come up with some of the most coherent thinking, not only only property-based regeneration but also on sustainable development, transport planning, energy conservation etc, which is not to say that I always agree with them. Following on from the BPF entry, are a number of references to manifestos for community-based regeneration, including one from SURF (Scottish Urban Regeneration Forum); and, others concerned with improving the quality of the built environment and local enterprise. I will explore these and other "Regeneration Manifestos" in coming blogs. I will also consider the religious significance of "regeneration", something particularly significant in the Christian faith in the context of the Easter celebrations; and, perhaps closest to my own heart, the meaning of "sustainable regeneration" for Planet Earth and her people, animal and plant life, both globally and locally.


No comments: