Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Does Cameron have the "Ken" to run Britain ?

Some 9 months ago (in a post of 18 April 2008, to be precise), I asked myself : Does Boris have the "Ken" to run London ? I can now answer this question in the affirmative. Mayor of London Boris Johnson's actions (which count stronger than words in politics) on transport and police issues - always key matters for Londoners - demonstrate him to be the right man for the job.

The question now arises : Does David Cameron have the "Ken" to run Britain ? His appointment of Ken Clarke to the Conservative front benches, as Shadow Business Spokesman, yesterday is a positive development in national politics.

For my part - and with due respect to the inauguration of Barack Obama as United State President today - I want Britain to be more independent of America in the future. This inevitably raises questions about our relationship with Europe and the vexed question of UK membership of the Euro, about which, like, apparently, the majority of British citizens, I still feel some ambivalence.

PS In an earlier version of this post, I mistakenly used "election" instead of "inauguration" : a Freudian slip, perhaps anticipating a not-so-distant future event over here.

No comments: