Friday, April 23, 2010

THE NEW DUKES OF MORAL HAZARD

To celebrate the restoration of "The Image" to my blog, I'm returning to the 1980s auto theme with which the present British General Election campaign started. I'm referring, of course, to the David Cameron-Gene Hunt-Audi Quattro image for which "Dave" expressed his thanks to New Labour spin.

The Dukes of Hazzard was a real (as distinct from retro) US TV show of the late 1970s-mid '80s, with 2 main heroes - a bit like the contemporary partnership of David Cameron and George Osborne - and an attractive woman in hot pants, not as yet sighted amongst those Cameronettes....but now the weather is hotting up, who knows what might happen.

"Moral Hazard", I fear. For I'm not convinced that David Cameron's Conservatives will tackle this problem arising from the bail-out of UK banks and the protection of bankers from bearing the real consquences of their risk-taking. I also detect a return of the Conservative pre-occupation with the less fortunate amongst the feckless, at a time when it is the morals of the wealthy and powerful that most need regulation.

No comments: