Monday, October 02, 2006

The Avante Garde Society of Worcester and John Reid

Last week in a local bookshop, I noticed a poster inviting people to a performance by "The Avante Garde Society of Worcester".

For a moment I was phased. The juxtaposition of "Avante Garde" and "Worcester" created the kind of reaction in me that would have accompanied John Reid's announcement to the Labour Party Conference that he was going to stand for the leadership and convert to Islam at the same time. Please note this is intended as a joke ! Incidentally, if Mr Reid is considering the latter spiritual option - and even if he isn't - might I suggest a relaxing turn on the "hubble-bubble" from time to time. He might ask Roy Hattersly to accompany him (given the latter's threat to shoot himself if Mr Reid became Labout Party Leader).

Returning to "The Avante Garde Society of Worcester", this offered an interesting programme, and now that I've overcome my own prejudices, I may go along to the next performance.

No comments: