Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Treasury more User-Friendly than Communities Department ?

As mentioned in my earlier blog "Globalisation and Discontent", the Treasury and the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) are conducting parallel reviews broadly covering the areas of regeneration and economic development. The DCLG review was instigated when these matters came under the authority of the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, and an extension of the review was announced last Summer after the creation of the new department. No report has yet emerged. The Treasury, after one unacknowledged email, have now told me that there is 3 weeks to submit material to their review, with a further opportunity for comment at a later stage. After several unacknowledged emails to the DCLG, I have now received a reply from a human being. I had electronic replies to a couple of my emails to the effect that the intended human recipient was on "Annual Leave", but the alternative email address provided did not respond. However, I have now received a rather snooty reply from DCLG stating that the deadline for submissions to their review passed in May. My understanding is, nevertheless, that the review is still ongoing, and I shall submit "comments" anyway (ie a copy of those I send to the Treasury).

No comments: