Friday, October 20, 2006

On Being Advised to Set Myself Up in Business as a Witch

When I was a relatively young woman in about 1991, a "mentor" of sorts suggested to me that I set myself up in business as a witch "before anyone does".

I should explain that my mentor was a well-known transport consultant, someone both accomplished in the creative thinking (or "ideas") department, and in the implementation process. He was, in short, a bit of a wizard himself.

Nevertheless, as someone who took herself a bit more seriously then than now, I was not sure how to take his comments, other than with a slightly uneasy laugh.

Like all good mentors, mine had obviously spotted some professional potential of which I was not yet aware, and also an emerging market for a new type of service.

In the meantime, of course, an increasing number of women (and some men) have set themselves up as witches. It should be said that, although this is by no means a new profession,
its public acceptance has grown in recent years, almost to the point of respectability.

But not quite ! Being a witch does still not carry the same "position" of, say, a transport planner, as my mentor well knew.

Now, where's my broomstick ?

No comments: